Thursday, February 12, 2009

Unit3, Part2

Research Log
1. Which of your questions did you try to answer?
-What is green house gases?
2. What EXACT terms did you enter into the keyword search screen?
- I used the term “greenhouse ” under the title keyword which listed 12 titles.
3. What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best option for your search?
- I chose "Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide mitigation"
4. What item did you eventually choose? Why?
- "Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide mitigation : science and technology" This was the item that eventually was the only on the list that explained my question about greenhouse gases. It tells me everything!
5. Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose.
a) Author: Halmann, Martin M;additional-Steinberg, Meyer
b) Title: Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide mitigation : science and technology
c) Place of publication: Boca Raton, Fla
e) Publisher:Lewis Publishers
f) Date of publication:1999

6. When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why?
- "Gases in an atmosphere that absorb and emit radiation within the thermal infrared range." because it specifically tells me its meaning.
7. What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the book stacks?
-Its more specific and detailed on your subject than a book in the stacks.
8. In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from?
- I believe it really comes from the mid 90's aroun the same time it was published.

1 comment:

  1. I am having trouble reproducing your search.

    I did a keyword search on "greenhouse" and got 333 titles (not 12, as you cite). I also searched for "greenhouse" combined with "reference collection" in the "location" drop down menu of the advanced search screen. That's how you identify reference titles. I got 3 results.

    Nothing I tried gave me 12 results.

    I even tried a title search, since you said you did a "title keyword" search (although I don't know what that is, exactly). I got 33 results. Still not 12.

    As for your subject heading "Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide mitigation," it doesn't exist. It's a title of a book, but it's not a subject heading. The subject headings for this book can be found in the full record and are

    Carbon dioxide -- Environmental aspects
    Global warming
    Greenhouse gases

    As for the book you chose, it's certainly on topic, which is good, and I like your quotation.

    A good definition of a reference title is to think of a book that you'd consult rather than read from cover to cover. Often, it contains lists of entries in alphabetic order. It usually covers a broad general topic and contains many small pieces of information about parts of that topic.

    I hope that helps

    ReplyDelete